Friday, October 31, 2008

All Hallow's Eve

+JMJ+

When I was a child, my family always did the traditional Halloween thing...dress as ghosts and witches, go trick-or-treating, and attend school carnivals. All seemed well until seventh grade. I was attending a non-demoninational Christian school and most people there viewed Halloween as "Satan's Holiday." I asked my mom about this and she said that was going overboard. Ok, that made sense to me as a Catholic, especially since our own parish always had the typical run-of-the-mill Halloween Carnivals. I thought that solved the issue. However, when I was in college, I began notiving that some of my dear friends with whom I attended daily Mass also thought Halloween was "Satan's Holiday." Ok, by now I was confused. Sincde then, I have done some research to find out what the Church really thought about this...and I have found mixed opinions. I tend to like to use EWTN as a trustworthy resource when it comes to matters of Faith, so I looked in their FAQ section. Basically, it said that while doing traditional Halloween customes are fine, All Saints' Day Parties are becoming more and more popular. Below, I have posted some links to ideas for such parties, costumes, etc. Tell me what you think!
Alternative Halloween Party
Saint's Costumes

1 comment:

Fruit Bat said...

I love Halloween! I just did a speech on it for my college communications class. I can understand why some people would see it as Satan's Holiday, but it has been diluted, and turned into baically just a party night. My friends and myself just dress up, get free candy, and watch movies together.