Sunday, April 13, 2008

World Day of Vocations


+JMJ+

Today is World Day of Vocations. This day is very important to me. Some years ago, as I was discerning God's will for my life, I began traveling around the country visiting convents and going to vocation retreats. One of my favorites, mentioned a few weeks ago, was the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist.

After finding that the convent may not be for me, I began looking at a call to the single Consecrated life. I have a dear friend who is a consecrated virgin. She is NOT a nun, but she is still a Bride of Christ! Pope Paul VI re-instituted this vocation. It is one in which the woman lives alone or with other female roommates, but she is not in a community. She wears no habit, just a ring to symbolize her consecration to Christ. She also must pray Morning and Evening prayer. More information can be found at the United States Association of Consecrated Virgins website. I am also a member of the Institute on Religious Life, which has many resources available to those who are discerning.

Below are are two videos on vocations -- one for priests and one for nuns:





If you have any links to add to my vocation section, please let me know!

No comments: